We excountered problems with various brands of printers suddenly unable to print after march 2015 updates to Windows 8 and 8.1.
PCL XL error
At first the workaround appeared to be simply to reinstall the driver or to use a PS driver instead of the PCL6 driver originally installed. To our surprise the issue came back shortly after.
Here’s a list of things we tried:
- Reinstall driver
- Reinstall using an alternate driver (PS vs PCL6)
- Updated printer firmware
- Uninstalled Microsoft Updates (and reinstalled the drivers when that failed to fix the problem)
In our case it appears there was a combination that affected the printing. The anti-virus is somehow causing the issue in combination with the update. So here are the steps to fix the problem:
- Disable the anti-virus
- Install/reinstall the print driver (PCL6 or PS)
- Reactivate your anti-virus
- Test (if the problem returns, turn the anti-virus off and test again.)
UPDATE: AVG kindly provided these instructions:
- Go to advanced settings
- Click Web Browsing Protection on the plus sign next to that
- Online Shield plus sign
- Directly click Expert settings
- In the settings window on the right uncheck “Scan encrypted (TLS and SSL) network traffic.
We’re delighted by the thousands of people that have benefited from these tips. Please help us by providing feedback and questions of your own. Visit our sponsors.