Scott Guthrie- Executive Vice President, Cloud and Enterprise Group, Microsoft recently announced Microsoft SQL that runs on Linux. Microsoft SQL 2016, available later on this year, will be able to run on Linux as well as an Azure SQL cloud service.
According to Microsoft, the benefits include:
- Groundbreaking security encryption capabilities that enable data to always be encrypted at rest, in motion and in-memory to deliver maximum security protection
- In-memory database support for every workload with performance increases up to 30-100x
- Incredible Data Warehousing performance with the #1, #2 and #3 TPC-H 10 Terabyte benchmarks for non-clustered performance, and as of March 7, the #1 SAP SD Two-Tier performance benchmark on Windows1
- Business Intelligence for every employee on every device – including new mobile BI support for iOS, Android and Windows Phone devices
- Advanced analytics using our new R support that enables customers to do real-time predictive analytics on both operational and analytic data
- Unique cloud capabilities that enable customers to deploy hybrid architectures that partition data workloads across on-premises and cloud based systems to save costs and increase agility