What to do if the Windows 10 June 2017 update hangs on restart. Some people report seeing the progress go up to 28% or so before having issues. This is usually when the Windows reboot is taking forever. A long time has passed and you’re not even sure if it is still working or if it is frozen. Continue reading
VMware has released version 6.5b of their hypervisor vSphere ESXi.
This release of vCenter Server 6.5.0b delivers a number of bug fixes. From Vmware’s site:
- Updates to time zones in the Linux Guest Operating System customization. vCenter Server Linux guest operating system customization supports latest time zones. For more information on time zone changes and daylight saving time (DST) changes in Linux guest operating systems, see the Time Zone Database by Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).
- Updates to time zones in the Windows Guest Operating System customization. vCenter Server Windows guest operating systems customization supports the latest time zones. For more information on time zone changes and daylight saving time (DST) changes in Windows guest operating systems, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 3162835.
- Updates to JRE package. The Oracle (Sun) JRE package is updated to version 1.8.0_121 to support Turkish timezone.
- Additional functionality to the vSphere Client. This release delivers additional functionality to the HTML5-based vSphere Client. For more information, see Functionality Updates for the vSphere Client.
We have fully tested vSphere ESXi and highly recommend this latest version.
Did you hear? April 22, 2017 will see a global Azure bootcamp happen! With 152 confirmed locations (as of this writing), you’ll no doubt be able to find one near you.
Be sure to follow us on twitter (#CTOBOB) for up to date news!
What a Trump win means to the technology sector
By Bob Pellerin
President-elect Trump may shake up things in more than the wall construction industry. As some of you may have noticed recently, executives from well-known companies such as Amazon, Netflix, and Salesforce, to name but a few, were rather vocal about president-elect Donald Trump. He’s been known for his tremendous sense of humor, right? All right, so perhaps having even one of these industry leaders comparing him to certain historical dictator might have been a bit much.
Unfortunately for some of us in the technology industry, we may be seeing a lot of red laser dots appear on our foreheads as we congregate in boardrooms soon. That might be a flagrant exaggeration, but wasn’t Mr. Trump threatening to boycott Apple? Wasn’t he going after Amazon for antitrust violations? What about Facebook? Didn’t they have suspect immigration policies? Surely Mr. Trump was kidding when he accused Google of suppressing negative headlines about Hilary Clinton!
All the bad blood and accusations aside, you should be worried regardless. He won, so that may satisfy the new commander in chief and spare the technology sector from retaliation. What we should all really worry about are tax-related statements he made to the press. There’s a slight possibility the president-elect may remember his own words about Amazon. “Amazon is getting away with murder, tax-wise”.
If your tax advisors keep telling you to save taxes by declaring all that income in Ireland or some not so far tax haven, perhaps you should remember the public attention you may be getting in the coming 4 years and prepare accordingly. What may be perfectly legal might not look so great when coming out of president-elect Trump’s mouth live on television.
(C) 2016 Bob Pellerin
New Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox version 3.3.7 released!
CTOBOB loves Intel NVMe drives. Since we have recommended these since they came out we wanted to let everyone know about the latest update.
There is a firmware and bootloader update available for the Intel® SSD 750 Series products. The latest firmware version is 8EV101F0. The latest bootloader version is 8B1B0133.
There is a firmware update available for the Intel® SSD 540s, Intel® SSD E 5400s Series and the Intel® SSD DC S3100 Series products. This update is only available through the Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool.
This release of the Intel SSD Toolbox will detect if your drive is eligible for the firmware update and will direct you to use the Intel SSD Firmware Update Tool.
- For the Intel SSD 540s Series, the latest firmware revision is 036C.
- For the Intel SSD E 5400s Series, the latest firmware revision is 036E.
- For the Intel SSD DC S3100 Series, the latest firmware revision is 036D.
This release also includes the following tool fixes and updates:
- Latest version of the Intel Update Manager, v3.4.1942, in the installation.
- Fixes to the download center and check for updates links
- Fixes issue where tool stops working on Windows* 10 with Marvel RAID drive
- Fixes command line crash when using –identify_device filename.bin on NVMe drives
- Updated product detection
For more information visit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26306/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox?v=t
CTOBOB is live tweeting during Apple’s exciting product launch today. As expected the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus maintain the same dimension and offer evolutionary enhancements. Promised as better battery life, more performance and better pictures with a 12MP camera (or dual camera in the case of the 7 plus). Continue reading
CTOBOB TECHNOLOGY PODCAST talks about NVMe with Robert Gundersen
CTOBOB TECHNOLOGY PODCAST
Host: Bob Pellerin
Guest: Robert Gundersen
Topic: NVMe Continue reading
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |
We want to thank everyone for viewing our videos and listening to our podcasts! Our Youtube channel passed the 100,000 views thanks to your support.
Keep the questions coming and be sure to subscribe to our channel if you like what we provide!
VMware vSphere ESXi 6.0 u2 (update 2) New features include:
- High Ethernet Link Speed: ESXi 6.0 Update 2 supports 25 G and 50 G ethernet link speeds.
- VMware Host Client: The VMware Host Client is a HTML5 client that is used to connect to and manage single ESXi hosts without a vCenter Server.
- vSphere APIs for I/O Filtering (VAIO): Enhancements made to VAIO includes supports for IPv6 and VMIOF versions 1.0 and 1.1.
- Two-factor authentication for vSphere Web Client: Better Security with RSA SecurID and Smart card authentication.
- Windows 10 Support for the vSphere Web Client
Scott Guthrie- Executive Vice President, Cloud and Enterprise Group, Microsoft recently announced Microsoft SQL that runs on Linux. Microsoft SQL 2016, available later on this year, will be able to run on Linux as well as an Azure SQL cloud service.
According to Microsoft, the benefits include:
- Groundbreaking security encryption capabilities that enable data to always be encrypted at rest, in motion and in-memory to deliver maximum security protection
- In-memory database support for every workload with performance increases up to 30-100x
- Incredible Data Warehousing performance with the #1, #2 and #3 TPC-H 10 Terabyte benchmarks for non-clustered performance, and as of March 7, the #1 SAP SD Two-Tier performance benchmark on Windows1
- Business Intelligence for every employee on every device – including new mobile BI support for iOS, Android and Windows Phone devices
- Advanced analytics using our new R support that enables customers to do real-time predictive analytics on both operational and analytic data
- Unique cloud capabilities that enable customers to deploy hybrid architectures that partition data workloads across on-premises and cloud based systems to save costs and increase agility