Windows 10 Remote Desktop Services Port Redirector crashes. Hanging or freezing isn’t usually. I imagine this problem goes undetected since so few people turn on the remote desktop service on their Windows 10 computers. In this particular case, the problem was on a Dell Optiplex. It started after an update. Continue reading
Trying to connect a Motorola PocketPC handheld scanner gives the error “because of a security error, the client could not connect to the remote computer. Verify that you are logged on to the network, and then try connecting again.”
This is caused by the X509 certificate on the server. Continue reading
Q: How do I pin an application in the taskbar if the option is not there when I right click?
A: It turns out that if you application or the shortcut that points to it refers to a removable media or a network location then the option does not appear.
- Copy the app locally temporarily.
- Make a shortcut.
- Pin the shortcut to the taskbar
- Change the shortcut in the taskbar (make it point to the network app.)
- Clean up the local app & shortcut you used to do the above step.
Let me know if this worked for you. We tested it with some apps and it solved the issue.
I spent hours exporting a virtual machine (vm) to an OVF format only to discover that VMware vSphere ESXi 5.5 gives me an error when I tried to deploy it.
Error message: Unsupported hardware family ‘vmx-10’ error
Cause: You created the VM using Workstation 11 and didn’t set the vm version to 10 or below before creating the OVF. Continue reading
Issue: You notice intermittant drops in connections on the network, slow network connection or complete loss of connection.
Affected: Intel i217-LM NIC (Used by HP, Lenovo, Dell in their recent Desktops)
If you have a lenovo. HP or Dell business class desktop, it’s very likely that you have an Intel i217-LM network adapter. With more expensive switches you will be able to detect what is happening. If you are using a less expensive switch then you’re wondering what is going on.
Cause: The i217-LM is causing an ICMPv6 multicast storm. Continue reading
There are many sites out there that allow you to easily test your internet speed. Why would you want to test? I see a lot of companies that pay for a speed that they don’t have or can’t reach because of hardware limitations. If you have an older firewall, for example, it may have a lower maximum throughput than the new speed you are paying for.
1. http://www.Speedtest.net – One of the most popular ones out there.
2. http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/ – A great alternative
3. http://www.speedio.com – It also shows the number of connections per minute and average ping time
4. http://www.Pingtest.net – Broadband quality analyzer
5. http://www.BandwidthPlace.com – This is the simplist and easiest to use of them all. Just press Start.
If you find that you have reached a maximum much lower than expected then do the following steps.
STEPS TO DIAGNOSE
1. Connect you computer directly to your router (eliminate the switch)
– If you get full speed then your router or switch are probably to blame
2. Plug your computer by itself in the router (assuming your router is providing DHCP service)
– If you get full speed then your switch is probably to blame.
Check that all you computers are connecting consistently at the correct speed and not falling back to a slowing speed. Keep in mind that “falling back” is a dramatic loss of speed. You’ll notice a difference going from a 1Gbps (a.k.a. 1000Mbps) to a 100Mbps link.
Make sure that all the cables you use at CAT 6 or 5e at a minimum for 1G speeds. Make sure all your cables respect the maximum lengths and are in good shape. Also check that the wiring in your walls is CAT 5e certified. If you’re moving to 10G speeds, then you’ll want the CAT 6 as a minimum.
It’s summer and the new installment of BattleField 4 is out for premium players. Although I enjoy playing the game sporatically, it’s been difficult to enjoy since it appears to suffer from one problem after another.
If you find yourself having the latest driver for your NVidia card and the game stops cold with a DirectX error try this: Continue reading